- New Zealand begins mass testing as Australia records deadliest day
- French and Dutch on alert over rise in cases
- Lost on the frontline: the 900 US health workers who have died
- UK economy plunges into deepest recession since records began
- UK coronavirus updates – live
Here’s a quick look back at the latest coronavirus-related stories from the past few hours:
Coronavirus cases in Spain jumped by nearly 1,700 on Wednesday, part of a surge that has prompted the construction of a military field hospital in the hard-hit Aragon region and led authorities in Galicia to practically ban smoking in public places.
Health ministry data showed 1,690 new coronavirus cases were diagnosed in the 24 hours to Wednesday, up from the 1,418 reported on Tuesday and bringing the cumulative total to 329,784.